PAGES

Music From Their Hearts: 5 Seconds of Summer

Tuesday, January 5, 2016



My youngest sister has done it yet again and has introduced to me another band-- but this is not just "another" band, it's 5 Seconds of Summer a.k.a. 5SOS!!!

If you're not already aware, 5 Seconds of Summer is a pop/rock band from Sydney, Australia! (I KNOW!!!!) The band consists if Michael Clifford (guitar/ vocals), Luke Hemmings (guitar/ vocals), Calum Hood (bass/ vocals), and last but absolutely not least, Ashton Irwin (drums/ vocals). These groups of guys became a band in 2011 posting videos on YouTube. Luke, Micheal, and Calum knew each other from high school and they met Ashton over Facebook and after their first gig, Calum purposed to Ashton to join the band-- true story (link at the end of post). Although, I may have mentioned the instruments that each member of the band plays, they are by far not limited to those instruments; these guys are multi-talented! They each play instruments other than the ones they play in the band and I think that so cool!


Sure, being a One Direction (1D) fan, I feel that I should have known 5SOS a lot sooner because they toured with 1D for two years (2013-14), but in my defense I did not become a fan of 1D until this past summer of 2015. So I sadly didn't get to see 5SOS perform live, but nonetheless, One Direction shouldn't be the main reason of why I should know this band exist. 5 Seconds of Summer have come a long way and have worked really hard. They really try their best to write music that have so much depth that many people can relate to, which I have been guilty of! Since my youngest sister is such a huge fan, she bought their new CD that came out on October 23, 2015, Sounds Good Feels Good, and I can't stop listening to it! I have fallen in love with their music!!

As I think you may have gathered, I have spent the last two weeks of my Christmas break watching YouTube videos of 5 Seconds of Summer and I have not only fallen in love with their music, but for who they are. Their passion for music and how much of an influence it has been in their lives is what they want to do for other people, as well. It is so inspiring that as I've gotten to listen to their music and get to know them (a little) from interviews, 5 Seconds of Summer is band that wants to make a difference in the world and without a doubt have continued to do so, if they know it or not.

I guess what sparked this blog post was a video I saw, which was a segment of 5SOS's live show, The Broken Scene. On October 21, 2015, they performed in Atlanta, Georgia and the drummer, Ashton, was talking to the audience before performing their next song, Jet Black Heart, one of my favorite songs on their new album. Ashton mentioned the music writing process and the kind of music they, as a band, wanted to make. As I was listening to Aston talk, I felt an extension of what they hoped to accomplish. 5 Seconds of summer is not just another band, they are so real and authentic that the music they write is completely and utterly them. Their songs are composed of their own experiences. real emotions, and obstacles that they have gone through, as real music should be. They are more than just a band! More than the teenage girls you hear gawk over them because of how they look or act, which may be true (I also have been guilty of this). 5SOS is a band that wants to mean something and it has always been about the music and fans to them. If I could meet them, I would look them each in the eye and tell them that they have and always will mean something to the people they have made such an impact on.


"I think if we could write music that's from our hearts for you, it doesn't matter if they're worldwide hits that's for sure-- we don't give a damn. As long as they mean something to every single one of you guys, that's all I care about... I want this band to mean something to you, instead of some pointless sh** on the radio. We want to mean something to you!" -Ashton Irwin

Thank you so much for reading!! I love these guys, so I've added the links to which you can check out their music and social media!! Just click on the colored text! I hope your new year has gone off to a great start!

Official Website
Instagram
Twitter
Facebook
YouTube
itunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design