PAGES

Why I Want to Become an Author

Monday, February 10, 2014

When I was in 6th grade, I attended Adams Middle School in Richmond, CA. Going to a new school for junior high was a scary thought for me. I didn't know who would be coming to Adams from my elementary school or if I'd be in the same class with anyone I'd know. It was intimidating enough that I really wanted my mom to come inside the school with me in order to help me find the class, but I was determined to prove I was a big kid. But I chickened out and wanted her to come with me. Despite the fact that I was scared, I still felt like a big kid because we had lockers now, I mean, how can lockers NOT be cool. (This almost happened in high school for freshman year, but I was able to find my classes on my own. I also didn't want to mess up my chances with the cool kids... Who was I kidding, I am the cool kid. Just kidding, there weren't "cool kids" at my high school).

In middle school, I had the usual classes: English, Math, Social Studies, etc. One class in particular: Homeroom, which was a class I wasn't expecting. Homeroom consisted of THE WHOLE SCHOOL reading a book; every grade, every student were required to read a book during the span of time they were at Adams. There was nothing being taught during this period, but we were graded on it. Each student would read a book and after finishing the book, the student would have to take a test on whichever book they read in the library. 

Each book had a set amount of points and different colored labels that bore a number on the spin of the book, which indicated the reading level. When a book was checked out the librarian was able to tell if someone was reading or taking a quiz that was below the students reading level and if it was, we would't able to take a quiz on it. Depending on the amount of points the student gets after taking the test, we would be able to redeem them for prizes. (Which I thought was really cool) Each quarter, the amount of words would be cataloged in the computer, which later in the year, students would receive a reward if they read up to 1 Million words or more that school year (I've only won that award twice during the three years attending Adams). It's nothing like a book club where classes were reading the same book. Students would go in the library, check out a book-- it didn't matter what book it was as long it was in the library and was at the same reading level as the student or above-- and they would read it. 

Now because I wasn't aware of this requirement in 6th grade, I got an "F"-- ON MY PROGRESS REPORT-- for the first quarter, but I then was determined to get that grade up before the report cards were made :)

I think back and I have to say "thank you" to my middle school because if it weren't for that class, I wouldn't have been an avid reader like I am now. Because of this program, I was introduced to the wonders of imagination and creation of countless worlds that so many authors had so voluntarily shared. Because I was required to read, it allowed me to pick up the works of C.S. Lewis, Sarah Dessen, Libba Bray, Stephanie Meyer, Cassandra Clare, Christopher Paolini, Lauren Oliver, Scott Westerfield, Harper Lee, and J.K. Rowling, who are just some of the many worlds I have been privileged to experience. I believe this was the match that started a spark. An outlet to imagine and a dream.

These are just some of my books in my room. (It's still growing)

This spark and dream is to become an author and C.S. Lewis has inspired that. I read "The Chronicles of Narnia" while at Adams and I was so mesmerized and intrigued by the chronicles that I did some research on C.S. Lewis. I found out that C.S. Lewis wrote "The Chronicles of Narnia" during the war and that inspired me; despite the war, violence, and guns, Lewis was still able to dream. When I become an author, I hope to inspire someone else, just as Lewis has inspired me. (Once I've become an established author, I hope to live in San Francisco in a house with the PERFECT view of the Golden Gate Bridge) :D

I also plan on writing a book that has a strong female protagonist. I feel that in may different media platforms and written works, women are the ones who ruin everything. In film or literary pieces, whichever woman was with the protagonist, that same woman ruins the plan and her emotions get in the way. I want to change that, to change the stereotypical female protagonist and create a strong, independent, and bad A** woman -- I apologize for the asterisks-- who can fight for herself. Overall, I can only ask that God can bless me with the amount of creativity to enable me to write something so strong and I just ask that He guides me into the right path on writing it. 

Thank You For Reading! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design